Thursday, May 19, 2011

Round 4 of Chemo...DONE!!

Hey everyone!  This is Sam here.  I'd like to first say thank you so very much for all of the cards, emails, messages and phone calls.  It's so good to catch up and hear about what's been going on with everyone.  Even if it's just Will writing about what's broken down at the dairy this week or a little "thinking of you" from Christina Marie and Nessie...I love it so please keep them coming!

Well, as of today, I'm half way through my treatments.  When I started all of this my doctor told me I would need 6 or 8 treatments, and, of course, we were hoping for 6 but it turns out I'll need all 8.  It feels good to be halfway through, though each one has been getting a little bit harder.  I recently had a CT scan to check my progress and the results were very good.  Most everything has been reduced in size or eliminated completely!  It's good to know this stuff is working because you begin to wonder sometimes.

Some of you have asked about the chemo I'm getting.  It's called R-CHOP, and it's typically used for non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma, but has proven very effective for my type as well.  It requires me to sit for 6-8 hours on Day 1, 4 hours on Day 2, and then take a pump home for the next 48 hours to slowly administer the last of the drug.  I don't like this part at all since I can't hold Jack and feel pretty useless and crummy, but there's not much I can do about it.  I start feeling a little better by the next week, and by the third week I feel almost normal...just in time for my next round!

Well that's all I have for now.  Please continue to keep Jack, Kristen and me in your prayers and I look forward to hearing from you all soon.

2 comments:

  1. Kristen and Sam (and of course sweet Baby Jack), we are praying for you and know that God will bring you through this with renewed hope, joy and love for family, life, and Him.
    We love you so much,
    Christy and Brent

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the blog, I think it's a great idea for family and friends to keep in touch. First of all, Congrats on your new bundle of joy! Littly boys are just so much fun. He is adorable and I know he is keeping your spirits up just by watching him. Sam, we are praying for you in our daily prayers. I'm glad to hear you are getting treatments, wish they weren't so invasive. You are a very strong man and I know you have the faith to get through all of this. Keep your head up and your family and friends will help you get through this yucky chapter in your life. Kristen, you are doing a wonderful job as a wife and mother. You are a very loving and strong woman. Thinking of you all and we love you. XOXO PS. post some pictures of Jack on here. Let's do a playdate when possible.

    ReplyDelete