Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Beef Stew

I came across this recipe in Ann Hodgman's Beat This! cookbook. It's a funny little book, filled with lots of really great recipes. This beef stew could not suit my current life more perfectly. I chop everything up the night before, dump it all in a dutch oven the next day, pop it in the oven, and forget about it for the next 5 hours. It does use a can of Campbell's Tomato Bisque soup which, I know, will send some of you into a tailspin. I strongly advise against trying to sub something else in. I've tried and so has Ms. Hodgman. Take a deep breath and get out your can opener. It's going to be OK.


Beef Stew

2 pounds of stew meat (I cut up a chuck roast)
6 carrots, cut into thick slices
2 large onions, coarsely chopped
1 large baking potato, cut into large cubes
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 can Campbell's Tomato Bisque soup
1/2 soup can water, dry red wine or beer (I use wine because, well, have we met?)

Preheat the oven to 275 F.
     Combine the beef, veggies and bay leaf in a lidded casserole dish. Sprinkle the seasonings over all and mix well. Combine the soup and your liquid of choice in a small bowl and pour it over the stew ingredients. Cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil and then with the lid.
     Bake the stew for 5 hours (she recommends checking to make sure there's still liquid halfway through, but this has never been an issue for me).

Serves 6



No comments:

Post a Comment