Saturday, October 6, 2012

jam jar balsamic vinaigrette

Believe it or not, the one thing Sam missed most while going through chemo and transplant was a big, crisp, cold salad. Since fresh fruits and veggies can carry all sorts of bacteria that could wreck havoc on a compromised immune system these had to be eliminated from his diet. When he was recently given the OK to eat salads again I wanted to elevate it a bit from my usual bowl of lettuce and tomatoes topped off with a few boring drizzles of bottled dressing. I found this balsamic vinaigrette in Tyler Florence's Family Meal cookbook, and haven't purchased the bottled stuff since. It's become our house dressing, and though Jack has yet to give it a try, Sam and I are enjoying more salads than ever.

Jam Jar Balsamic Vinaigrette

1 small shallot, finely diced (or 1 fresh garlic clove, minced)
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons honey
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese (kind of optional, good with or without)
salt & pepper to taste

Put everything in a small jar. Shake hard. Lasts at least a week in the fridge.


2 comments:

  1. i didn't have any balsamic, but did have champagne vinegar - it was awesome... I love this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I actually used red wine vinegar the day I snapped this picture. Glad you like it!

      Delete