Saturday, September 7, 2013

Gwyneth Paltrow's Healthy Blueberry Muffins



I guess it depends on your definition of "healthy" as to whether or not you agree with GP on these muffins, but regardless, they're good.  She uses spelt flour (which I never have on hand) but all-purpose is a perfectly fine substitute if you don't have gluten issues. She also tries to avoid refined white sugar so she sweetens them up with some agave and maple syrup. The maple syrup makes them taste like blueberry pancake muffins. They come from her cookbook, My Father's Daughter where she tells wonderful stories about her father, Bruce, who died a few years back from cancer, along with her struggles with getting her children to eat well. I can't say I agree with all of her opinions, and if you were to stock your pantry with the items she suggests it would cost a small fortune, but it's still one of my favorite cookbooks. I should also add that her mom, Blythe Danner, has her own recipe for blueberry muffins included in the book (much more traditional with butter and eggs) that Gwyneth regularly requested while pregnant. Why on earth didn't I write about those instead? Just try these. Then we'll talk.  

Gwyneth Paltrow's Healthy Blueberry Muffins

*Note: These are also egg-free, dairy-free and vegan. If you're into that sort of thing.

Ingredients

1/2 cup vegetable oil 
1/2 cup soymilk  
1/2 cup pure maple syrup 
1/4 cup light agave nectar 
1 teaspoon vanilla  
1 cup white spelt flour  (I used all-purpose)
1 cup whole spelt flour (I used whole-wheat)  
2 teaspoons baking powder 
1/2 teaspoon salt  
2 1/2 cups fresh blueberries

Directions

Heat oven to 375°. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners. Whisk oil, soymilk, maple syrup and agave in a bowl. Combine flours, baking powder and salt in another bowl. Carefully stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Do NOT overmix. Gently fold in the blueberries. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Bake until muffins are golden brown and a knife comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.







recipe source: slightly modified from My Father's Daughter by Gwyneth Paltrow

No comments:

Post a Comment